The Impact of Local Permitting on the Cost of Solar Power
Reports show how simpler solar permitting can generate billions for solar economies.
Streamlined permitting can make solar affordable for 50% of American homes.
Local permitting and inspection add $0.50 per watt, or $2,516 per residential install, to the cost of solar, as described in detail in this report. Standardizing local permitting will transform residential solar by:
- Bringing the cost of solar to grid parity for 50% of Americans by 2013
- Closing Germany’s 40% cost advantage
- Delivering the equivalent of a new $1 billion solar subsidy over five years
Take action! Resources to help you streamline solar permitting in your jurisdiction:
- Vote Solar provides a toolkit to action.
- Solar America Board for Codes and Standards (Solar ABCs) has developed safe, effective standards with funding by the Department of Energy.